DenPasar2017 is a group exhibition that is part ofCushCush Gallery’s (CCG’s) series of programs that provides a platform for young artists and creative communities from various fields in Bali to come together and create artworks. In keeping with CCG’s goal of actively seekingfresh perspectives, potentially intertwining the different disciplines and contemporary art and design to interact and collaborate, DenPasar2017 aims to represent the aspirations of creative generation in the present.
Denpasar is the capital of Bali province, and it is where the business center and seat of Bali’s government are situated. The city has its own charm, with a more diverse communities resulting from a large number of settlers that have since become residence of Denpasar. These diverse communities live side by side, enriching life in Denpasar. Denpasar literally means“Pasar Utara” (North of Market), that reinforces the important role of the market in the development of Denpasar city as it has become today. For this reason, ‘Market’ is picked as the theme forDenPasar2017 exhibition.
For DenPasar2017, CCG invites artists and creative communities/ creatives to understand and respond, and give meanings to the understanding of ‘Market’ in Denpasar. These responses will be presentedin the form of 2 dimensional artworks (60x40cm) as DenPasar2017 exhibition at CCG.
CushCush Gallery had an open call in January and February 2017, inviting artists and creative to participate in DenPasar2017 exhibition, and had selected 17 participants from different creative backgrounds. They include architects, dancers, fashion designers, jewelry designers, graphic designers, photographers, street artists, fine artists and many more. To facilitate the selected participants, CCG held a “MelaliKePasar” (journey to the market) event in 15th March 2017 to brief participants in exploring the theme.
Click to download Denpasar 2017 Open Call.
17 selected artists from open call with various art and creative background:
Melali ke Pasar (Journey to the Market)
Invited speakers: Marlowe Bandem and AyipBudiman.
Sharing session with Marlowe Bandem who shared the role of documentation through art and other creative means which is deeply embedded in Bali’s culture, and AyipBudiman who discussed the importance of‘Sense of place and iconography’.
Click to download the sharing session.
After the talk, the participants then went together to a variety of markets in Denpasar by rentedBemo(local van transportation) to experience and explore markets directly.
26th May – 26th August 2017
Open for public, by appointment.
Exhibition opening: 26th May 2017
Partnership & Sponsorship
- Bali Travel Newspaper “A Market for Art at CushCush Gallery”
- DetikHot “Lugu Gumilar, Antara Barista dan Berkarya dari Ampas Kopi”
- DetikHot “DenPasar 2017 Gaet 17 Seniman”
- Bali Post International “Acknowledging The Market: Pasar in Denpasar”
- Tribun Bali “Pasar, Kota dan Kita”
- La Gazzette “Denpasar 2017 Poster”
- La Gazzette “DenPasar 2017, la nouvelle exposition de CushCush Gallery”
- La Gazzette Bali “Bali Art Festival, Tepi Sawah Festival, Le Souper Denpasar 2017”
- KabarPortal “Peta Seni dan Design DenPasar 2017 diluncurkan bersama komunitas seni kreatif Bali”
- Balebengong “Peta Seni dan Design Pertama di Denpasar”
- Balebengong “Pameran Kreatif Tentang Pasar & Kota Denpasar”
- The Beat Bali “DenPasar 2017”
- Koranaktual “Urban Sketchers Hingga KitaPoleng Ramaikan DenPasar2017”
- Baliblogger “Pesta Seni dan Design Pertama di Denpasar”
- PressReader “CushCush Gallery Organizes Exhibition in Denpasar”
- Beritawow “Angkat Hepotinusa Kreatif Denpasar Pameran DenPasar 2017 Gaet 17 Artis”
- Pojokviral “Urban Sketchers Hingga Kitapoleng”
- Inflash “Urban Creative Guerilla Denpasar 2017 Movement”
- Senidibali “Denpasar2017, An Exhibition Movement Held by CushCush Gallery”
- Senidibali “Peluncuran Peta Seni + Desain Denpasar2017 di CushCush Gallery”
- Senidibali “Workshop Tari Kontemporer dengan Bahasa Isyarat”
- Issuu Epaper “Acknowledging the Market, Pasar in Denpasar”
- Pressreader “Dunia Penggila Gambar”
- Kompas “Dunia Penggila Gambar”
- The Jakarta Post “DenPasar 2017 HighLighting The Diverse Creativity of Denpasar”